Rules and Regulations
Important: Please read these Official Rules (“Rules”) before entering the Changing Lives: Celebrate 75 Years of Stories Contest (the "Contest"). By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Rules.
Entry begins June 15, 2015, 12:00:00 am Pacific Standard Time (PST) and ends on October 15, 2015 at 11:59:59 pm MT.
The Contest is open only to residents currently residing in Canada (excluding Quebec), who are at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence) as of the date of their entry.
How to enter
To enter the Contest, take the following steps during the Entry period:
- Write a brief story (100-350 characters) about your connection with Royal Roads.
- Submit a high-quality photo or video of yourself or your time at Royal Roads.
- Follow the instructions on the Contest page on the Royal Roads University website to post your story. Use the following URL: changinglives.royalroads.ca. Submissions can also be made by leaving a message on our dedicated Contest voicemail 1.250.391.8540 or by mailing your story and a copy of your image to Changing Lives Contest, Royal Roads University, 2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2. Submissions will not be returned.
Only submissions posted during the contest period will be eligible to win.
*See below for photo guidelines.
Your Contest entry will be reviewed by Sponsor or Sponsor's designated Contest administrator ("Administrator"), and may be removed if deemed inappropriate.
Contest Winner Selection
There will be one (1) Potential Winner from all eligible entries. The winner will be randomly selected at a draw on October 16, 2015.
Sponsor will make up to two (2) attempts within three (3) business days to contact the Potential Winner by sending an email to the email address provided during the submission process. If any Potential Winner does not meet the eligibility criteria or fails to respond to notification attempts with required information, that entry will be disqualified and another Potential Winner will be drawn. All decisions of Sponsor relating to the Contest are final. Potential Winners may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility for verification purposes or Liability/Publicity Release or a declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release (for a Canadian winner) within five (5) business days. The Winner of the contest will be announced on October 17, 2015.
There will be one Grand Prize awarded. The winner will receive a gift basket (value $100 CND). Prizes are provided by Royal Roads University.
Royal Roads University retains the right to moderate and unpublish submissions that communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which the university wishes to associate. Examples include entries that:
- Promote bigotry or discrimination.
- Disparage any person, company, or products.
- Violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, or privacy, property, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity not affiliated with this Contest.
- Contain any personal identification, such as e-mail addresses or other contact details.
- Promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing)
By submitting an entry, you hereby consent to Royal Roads University’s use of the entry in their internal communications and publications, in social media and other marketing platforms. You also confirm that any people who are featured in the photograph(s) gave permission for you to take the image(s) and do not object to your, or Royal Roads University’s use of the same for commercial purposes. These stories may also be re-purposed as part of the Royal Roads University Alumni page in the future.
Sponsor is entitled to interpret these rules as needed, and the decision of Sponsor is final. If any portion of the Prize is not available, Sponsor will award a prize, or portion thereof, of equal or greater value.
Participants agree that the Sponsor:
- shall not be responsible or liable for, and you hereby release the Sponsor from, any claims, losses, damages or injuries of any kind (including death, to persons, property and/or pet(s)) resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity, or from acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use/misuse or inability to use a prize; and
- to the maximum extent permitted by law, have not made any warranty, condition, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to a prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Sponsor shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or irregularity that may be caused or contributed to:
- by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors;
- by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Sponsor, or
- by any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Sponsor, including postal service delays. Failure of Sponsor to enforce any provision herein shall not be deemed a waiver of such. Sponsor reserves the right to modify these Rules for clarification and/or administration purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Contest.
The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for computer problems that make it difficult or impossible for you to enter the Contest, or to respond to notifications. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, suspend, modify or amend this Contest, in its entirety or in part, for any reason, including should virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or other causes corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest. If any part of these Rules is determined to be invalid or unenforceable pursuant to applicable law, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and these Rules shall continue in effect.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules or the rights and obligations of participants or Sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the province of British Columbia, in Canada, without regard to conflict or choice of law provisions, or international treaties or conventions.
The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2015 by Royal Roads University. All rights reserved.
The Sponsor of the Contest is Royal Roads University. Located at 2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2. Website: www.royalroads.ca.